Friday 15 May 2020

Viking Optical Tripod S'port Pt.2.

~~

What I haven't shown [yet] is that the pack usually remains on the tripod in use. It does not impede the tripod when the legs are extended and spread wide. So that the whole unit works exactly like a "naked" tripod. The "bag" for want of a better term is made of sturdy cloth and the zips are typically modern plastic and seem like good quality. They slide open and closed smoothly as expected.

The hanging bag unit will increase wind resistance compared with a naked tripod. Though the whole tripod [and hanging bag] can then be rotated to minimize its area as presented to the prevailing wind. [i.e. Edge on to the wind.]

The tripod is probably best set up at full, normal height. Before the telescope in its zipped storage pouch is removed and fitted onto the head. This method will save grovelling on the damp ground. Since you an work at a comfortable height on a stable platform.

Somewhat surprisingly [for me] is that I haven't found any obvious flaws with this Viking tripod carrying system yet. Normally I start thinking about modification [or improvements] the moment a new item arrives in the post. The real proof of its true practicality will be in its actual use.

I am very pleased that I found less bulky, lighter and more practical way of carrying my big Manfrotto tripod into the wilds. I really don't think I could have put up with a real rucksack. With the tripod probably dangling form its side or strapped across the top. With the Viking S'port tripod carrying system the cloth always stays well off the ground. Nor do I need to crouch on one wet knee to access the contents. I just slip off the bag, loosen the clamps and let the tripod legs extend. What could possibly go wrong?  


~~

No comments:

Post a Comment